Call The Law Office Of Andy Miri 323-725-8263Hablamos Español

Green Cards for Nurses in California

For years, there has been a shortage of nurses in the US. To rectify this problem, the US government gives special preference to nurses coming to work in US hospitals. This special preference category is called Schedule A. Hospitals and medical care facilities can sponsor nurses for Green Cards through an expedited process under Schedule A.

How long does it take to become a permanent resident as a nurse?

Unfortunately the process is taking several years because of a backlog of green card applications and legislative delays. However, this may change in the very near future. That said, Green Card applications for nurses are still generally faster than most other employment-based green card categories and if you have these skills you should explore or plan for this Green Card opportunity.

Do I need a job offer?

Yes, you need a job offer from a US hospital or medical facility that employs nurses. You do not have to be working there already. You only need an offer from the hospital or medical facility to work there in the future after your green card is approved.

How does the Process Work?

There is a special process for nurses when applying for a Green Card – – for permanent residency. Nurses are categorized as a Schedule A occupation. This means labor certification (PERM) is unnecessary because nurses are considered to be in a shortage situation in the US. This shortens the overall processing time in receiving a green card.

How do I qualify as a nurse under Schedule A?

You must be a Registered Nurse (RN). A licensed practical nurse may qualify for permanent residency, but not under Schedule A. To qualify under Schedule A, you must:

  • Have a full unrestricted license to practice nursing. A temporary license is insufficient; and
  • Have a CGFNS certificate issued by the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools. Passage of the test alone is not sufficient; or
  • Have passed the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX) by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing.

If you are a nurse, healthcare professional or provider, an Immigration Attorney from The Law Office of Andy Miri can assist you through this special process. Our California Immigration Attorneys are expert in healthcare immigration and can help you start your career in the US. If you are a hospital representative or healthcare provider, call The Law Office of Andy Miri today to speak about your human resource and immigration needs.

Law Offices of Andy Miri

“Dedicated to your needs
Focused on your success”

CALL ANDY MIRI TODAY: 323-725-8263Hablamos Español

Practice Areas & Information